jueves, 2 de abril de 2015

Statives Verbs

Some verbs are only used in simple tenses (not continuous tenses). These verbs are called stative or state verbs. They are verbs about liking or disliking something, mental states... but not actions. The verbs which show action are called dynamic.

Some verbs have both functions:


  • BE: Is usually a stative verb but it can be used to show behaviour or acts
You are stupid (as a part of your personality)    -    You are being stupid (only now, not usually)

  • HAVE: Used as a stative verb means own. Used as a dynamic verb is part of an expression.
I have a car (I own it)          -         I am having a great time (To spend time in a funny way)

  • SEE: As a stative verb, see means with your eyes, understand. As a dynamic verb it means meet or have a relationship.
I see what you mean / It's dark. I can't see anything.      -      I'm seeing Rob tomorrow.

  • THINK: It can mean opinion as a stative verb or consider as a dynamic verb.
I think the coffee is great.          -          I'm thinking about my next holiday destination. 

  • TASTE: It can mean certain taste as a stative verb or the action of tasting as a dynamic verb. (It happens the same with smell, feel and look.)
This soup tastes delicious.          -          The chef is tasting the soup.



Here you have a list with the stative verbs and examples.






Video

Links to exercises:
Stative Verbs 1
Stative or Dynamic 1
Stative or Dynamic 2
Stative or Dynamic 3
Both Meanings


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario